Friday, February 13, 2009

The meaning of my name

Today, I went to surf the net to find the true meaning of my name. First of all, My name is Adele, and my confirmation name (which was chosen in Form 4) is Emily. So, this is what i found...

Adele
  • Origin : Germany
  • Alternate Origin : French
  • Meaning : Noble, Kind, Good Humour (Cool huh?)
Adele (as a Saint's name)
  • Feast Day : 24 Dec (6 days after my birthday!)
  • Meaning : Noble
  • Saint and Patronage : Saint Adele’s first vocation was as a wife and mother. She served God by taking care of her family, praying, and doing works of mercy. When her husband died, she became a nun and founded a convent. As its first abbess, she ruled with great compassion and holiness.
Emily (normal name)
  • Origin : Latin-America
  • Alternate Origin : French German
  • Meaning : Admiring, Industrious
  • Famous bearer : French writer Emile Zola, Emily Dickenson
Emily (as a Saint's name)
  • Feast Day : 24 Dec (6 days after my birthday!)
  • Meaning : Excelling
  • Saint and Patronage : Saint Gregory the Great had three aunts who led prayerful religious lives in their father's house, Tarsilla, Saint Emiliana, and Gordiana. They encouraged each another to growth in holiness.
Conclusion, from what I observe from the saint's name, both their feast days are exactly the same. That by far, is pretty cool!

Names and their meanings can be found at :
  • http://wordbytes.org/saints/names.htm
  • http://www.meaning-of-names.com

No comments: